Friday, December 26, 2008

Auntie Em's Low Carb Flourless Chocolate Diva Cups

Auntie Em's Low Carb Flourless Chocolate Diva Cups...
In the Evil Think Tank again Today with Tara, we had a special mission. If you've never seen the master minds working together, it is an unholy rift in the forces of darkness. I went to culinary school with Tara the Evil genius . I must say, if we weren't such nice people, one would think it was really wrong how we use kitchen alchemy. Evil only in ways to indulge. Really wrong. This special assignment came under very beautiful circumstances. Tara's friend is getting married soon and was in need of a gorgeous, yet low carb dessert to serve. This friend has lost an amazing amount of weight. I think she deserves to eat something delicious on her wedding day!! See, I am nice.
Since the gal was going to be the queen for the day, I thought I would take another trip to Oz. I put on my shimmering fluffy pink gown and tiara. I am the good witch!! Really!! ...Actually,my sister Auntie Em is diabetic. Em gave me a recipe several years back for low carb flourless cake that uses apricot jam in the mix, which adds a light fruit flavor as well as enough pectin from the fruit to help the cake set. The eggs and other traditional ingredients in flourless chocolate cake where there as well, but we wanted this to be extra special. So we topped it with sugar free chocolate mousse. Ending result. Inside it looks like this. Not bad for 11 carbs each. Crazy huh?

Piled High with chocolate mousse...

Get your stuff together...you'll need :
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
3 eggs, separated,
6T butter,
1/3 cup sugar free apricot jam
1 1/2 cup splenda spoonful
2 tsp espresso powder (or pero for you Mormon folk)
2 tsp vanilla

Melt your butter and chocolate just until barely hot. For goodness sake, don't cook it too long or it will scorch and taste sooo nasty!!
Cool slightly, add the yolks
jam, splenda, espresso, and vanilla. Mix well.

Whip egg whites until firm peaks form.


Combine the chocolate mixture and the whipped whites









Don't mix too much, just lightly until combined



Pour into 7 free standing baking cups or silicone baking cups.

Bake 350 degrees 18-20 minutes, until just baked. Cool completely.
For Chocolate Diva Tiaras, put design paper under parchment paper:



Carefully follow the design with melted white chocolate.






Dust with culinary gold if desired.

Now we had to taste this just to be sure it was okay to serve to company. The coffee flavor masked the aftertaste of the Splenda. What we had was master genius. I think the Queen will be pleased. All hail!! So, hats off to Evil Tara. We had a blast today and got to make sure a friend didn't break her diet, even on her wedding day! It must be LOVE!!


7 comments:

Goob said...

absolutely gorgeous!

Chef Tess said...

Thank you!!!

Amy said...

Oh my crap! What are you trying to do to me?!

P.S. I love the new look of the blog...it's PERFECT. You just know there's going to be something sinfully decadent within.

Chef Tess said...

Ahh Amy, you have a gift with words. Oh my Crap...back at'cha. You are cool. I liked the new look too. If you've seen my house, it matches perfectly!

Chef Tess said...

Angie just asked me about Pero...it's a grain based drink mix that looks very similar to granulated coffee, but is made from wheat and barley. It can be found in the hot drink area of most grocery stores...most commonly in Utah. There used to be one called postum but they don't make it anymore. I make my own by just parching a 1/4 cup grains of wheat or barley on the bottom of a hot pan until they are really dark and then adding water and cooking them 10 minutes and straining it. It makes a really nice mild drink on a cold day.

La Table De Nana said...

I love the FDL!
I hope to try these..I hope you don't mind:)

Chef Tess said...

Oh my gosh! Of course I don't mind! I love to inspire!