Thursday, January 29, 2009

Baked Lowfat French Fries...Homemade Perfect


I found the coolest way to make French fries that are actually low fat and healthy. They are so low fat that it's almost insane. What I like most, is that the turn out crispy on the outside, but not thick skinned and funny. The insides are fluffy, not gummy, like a lot of homemade potato fries. The secret to these delicious little nibbles, is to partially cook the potatoes before baking them. Here's the tricks to make them wonderful!

You will 4 medium russet potatoes, washed and peeled.
Cut them into beef-steak size fries and put in a microwave proof bowl, filled with water.
Microwave the fries in the water for 8 minutes, or until they are tender.
Drain the water. Rinse again with cold water.
Spread out on a dry, clean dishcloth and pat dry.

Then comes the fun part...Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Lightly mist a stoneware baking pan with vegetable oil. Line up the potato wedges in rows.

Salt well. I use a little Kosher salt...not all of this silly. I used about a teaspoon.

Lightly mist the top of the potatoes with more of the vegetable oil. You can use any flavored oil if you want or just the non-stick spray. I use a natural oil in a mister. Bake at 450 degrees 25-30 minutes until very crispy.


Season generously with all-purpose seasoning and serve with your favorite ketchup. This is actually homemade ketchup. Mmm. Enjoy!



5 comments:

Goob said...

mmmm yummy. We do oven fries, either white or sweet potatoes with a mixture of kosher salt, curry powder, chili-powder, garlic powder, either Rosemary or Cumin (depends on what's in the cupboard) and red pepper. It is some spicy carbo goodness.

Chef Tess said...

Sweet potatoes...wow. I don't know why I haven't thought of using those for French fries, since I use them in my scalloped potatoes on a regular basis! Those sound awesome!

Anonymous said...

I've tried something similar and used Yukon Gold potatoes as they are less starchy. They turned out good and crispy.

doug

dougthecook said...

Not sure if my comment will appear - scripting problem.
Anyways, I tried this with Yukon Gold potatoes which turned out very crisp and delicious. They are less starchy than russets. Sweet potatoes looks like something I'll try.

Chef Tess said...

Doug, Yukon Gold are some of my favorite potatoes! Yes! I think you will be happy to hear that I did try them with sweet potatoes and they where a big hit around here. Thanks for the great comments.