Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hallmark Moment

Random Thought...Yea. As a mom I sometimes wonder if my efforts are really paying off. Do they really notice? Are they learning all they should? Am I? Today I have pneumonia. It's not, glamor wise, my finest hour. My saggy jammies couldn't droop any lower if they tried. Believe me, they are trying...let me just adjust my flowing glamor here. Um. Where was I? Oh yea...

Yet in the midst of it, I woke to find my 9 year old Little Man making egg sandwiches for breakfast. It was one of those moments. Sappy. Super cheesy. Of course I got out my camera and took pictures! He was beaming!! It was an absolutely perfect moment to look at him and say "YES!" He gets it. He's serving other people... He can cook eggs. I don't know if being able to cook eggs really defines a person's progress, but to me it does. He can logically solve the breakfast crisis. In a cold cereal world (and we had some in the house) he still opted to make sure it was a hot breakfast. The point that he was making enough for everyone WAS the point. I felt a glimmer of hope that things where sinking in. It wasn't just the sandwich, it was the thought behind the sandwich. To my elation...It was still on my homemade bread. He even washed the dishes. So there you go.

8 comments:

Jeri said...

wow - I'm most impressed that he did the dishes! My son LOVES to "cook" - but the disaster left in his wake kind of negates any pleasure I get out of him doing the cooking.

Hope you get better soon.

Kathy said...

That IS impressive! I don't think I could do ANYTHING in the kitchen when I was 9...in fact my kids eat donuts or little frozen pancakes for breakfast. :o)

Chef Tess said...

Oh I love you ladies!

Amy said...

I'm SURE they get it!

I STILL remember the first time my mom let me cook eggs by myself...it sticks in my mind as one of my finest culinary moments.

Chef Tess said...

Feel the love baby. That's what cooking with the kiddos is all about. Glad your mom GOT that. She's a good person.

Tamster said...

Oh, Steph! I'm so sorry you are sick. You've already been there done that with the whole pneumonia thing before. I'm sorry you are having to deal with that again. I hope you get well soon!

That's awesome that he made you all breakfast... and cleaned up afterwords!!! :-) And such a great breakfast, at that! You're doing something right, Sista! :-)

I need to be better about allowing my kids to help me in the kitchen. I let my oldest help a little more, but I still seem to be afraid to let them do much. I don't remember how old I was when I could cook anything by myself. 9 seems pretty good. Way to go, Mom and son! :-)

Chef Tess said...

Awe, thanks Tamster. I think it's just letting them into the kitchen and be part of the action. My youngest cooks on the stove and he is 5, but I am always standing next to him and talking him through it. He does the pancakes. Loves it. They don't always end up pretty, but the point is I'm raising a boy, not making pancakes. Along the way they need to see me make mistakes and they make mistakes too...and it is okay. Usually the most daunting part is the clean up, but as my mother used to say "Every great Chef cleans up after themselves". We clean up together too.

Anonymous said...

I love cooking so much if any body let me be a home chef I would take the job!!


little man