Monday, March 2, 2009

Rosemary and Shallot breadsticks

In my last post, I mentioned that it was pizza night and in order to keep the peace with my vegetarian husband, I made bread sticks to go along side the Arizona BBQ Chicken and Sausage Pizza . Here is the two worlds colliding and my wooden spoon keeping the peace, as it often does:

For the bread sticks, it couldn't get much simpler if I tried. Top with 1/4 cup melted butter...or olive oil or whatever oil you like. I like the flavor of butter...plus it looks like a giant egg over easy ...


Once the butter is spread, I top it with fresh cracked black pepper, 2T all purpose Italian seasoning (my blend, but most brands work...), and 1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary. I don't know about the other parts of the country, but here, we have rosemary bushes we trim with an electric chain saw. I've been told some people have to coddle this little herb to make it grow. I'm so sorry if that is the case. Rosemary is my favorite herb. I make no apologies. This rosemary grows on a bush in my yard. MMM. Rosemary...



I break it up and sprinkle it all over the bread stick dough, though you can just chop it if you don't want your fingers to smell like fat little sausages. Yea, my fingers look a little like fat sausages anyway so I guess the smell couldn't be a far off addition to the living metaphor of sausage personified. Dip me in maple syrup and serve me up fried. Yikes. I don't even want to think about being served up fried.

Slice 4 shallots thin, and spread them out on the dough as well.

Cut up the dough into rectangle things using your pizza cutter. Mine is really shiny so it looks like a mirror. Crazy vain Rosemary wanting to get a glimpse of itself before it is cut into pieces.


This makes about 20 bread sticks. I tried to figure that out without the picture later on when I was figuring out the Weight Watchers points for one bread stick, and it hurt my fragile brain. Use the picture. It works better. I was pumped to figure out that if I use whole wheat flour, they are 1 point a piece. ONE. Yippeeee!

If they last long enough to put on a plate and take pictures, I highly recommend taking them down to the river. The rocks make an excellent backdrop...and the trickle sound of water isn't too bad for your heart either.


There you go. No crying vegetarians in the home. It's a beautiful thing.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh, and by the way, the bread sticks look amazing! I am going to try them this week.

Anonymous said...

These are some tasty looking breadsticks! I can smell them from here :).