Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Green eggs and toast

In a huge celebration of Herbs and Eggs...a tour and tutorial, I am gleefully using the amazing eggs from Wendy's chickens...and her farm fresh herbs. Do you see my funky chicken dance in my hot pink fuzzy slippers. Hopefully not.

Yesterday I decided to make some green eggs and toast. I think they turned out insane. In a good way. I haven't had an egg like this in my life! Ever! Thanks Wendy!

Eggs right from the "farm"...no, not the nut house as I've heard it called by Wendy...lol.

First step was to make the pesto.
Basil-dill pesto
1/4 cup pine nuts (or walnuts)
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil
2T lightly packed dill
3T garlic infused olive extra virgin olive oil
1 pressed garlic clove
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a thick paste. Yields about 1 cup. It goes a long way too! Use it on eggs, pasta, mixed with butter on garlic herb bread, in tomato sauces, on chicken...you name it. I love it mixed with melted butter and spread over rolls just before baking. It's amazing. Freezes beautifully too, so it's a great way to preserve that fresh basil flavor and use it all the time.

For green eggs: in a lightly oiled egg pan, put your eggs. Note: the yolks are awesome! Look how fresh they are! The fresher the egg the higher up the yolk will be...it doesn't spread...see?!

I loved adding some of the fresh dill to the eggs as they cooked. This complemented the basil pesto in a magical way. Oh heaven.


Eggs over easy means the yolk is still runny and the egg isn't browned, just cooked on a low temperature then gently rolled over. Honestly they take about 6 minutes start to finish. This was done with a tablespoon or two of the pesto added to the pan just after I rolled over the eggs. I didn't even butter the toast. Just had it to dip in the eggs. Crispy full flavored bread made into toast with some country fresh farm eggs...it just doesn't get much simpler or perfect than this.

There you go. Thanks again Wendy!

No comments: