Monday, April 20, 2009

Herbs and Eggs...a tour and tutorial

I visited a good friend's garden today and she graced me with some of her amazing herbs and eggs. Unlike the quail eggs from the previous post, these are real eggs. REAL. I actually saw the chickens they came from...which is amazing for a city chick like myself...and the birds. So take a peek at this garden. This is only a corner. I totally loved it. It made me miss my dad...a lot.
This is cilantro, also known as coriander. It's used in a lot of Mexican cooking but also a ton of Middle Eastern and Asian as well as Polynesian. It's very popular here in the southwestern USA.


Now the gorgeous Basil...

Ready for all things Italian, a lot of French cooking and also a few Oriental dishes. I love it with chicken, eggs, and in my stuffed savory French Toast.


This is Dill. Hello Dill. It has the seed pods growing out already which means soon Wendy will also have seeds for making pickles...but right now she also has the greens with are good for eggs, poultry, ...Cottage Cheese Dill rolls It may be one of my all time favorite herbs!


Then came the English Thyme. It is amazing! Anywhere you use dill, you can also use thyme. I love it with poultry, eggs, roasts, various vegetables like squash and carrots. As a general rule, add the fresh chopped herbs at the end of cooking. This will ensure the best flavor. Dry herbs at at the beginning of cooking for a stew or sauce to allow the flavors to be released.


Wendy had 3 kinds of onions growing. It's her son's scout project! How cool is that?!



Look at these bad birds. They walk the walk. Squawk the squawk...and gave out some nice eggs. Thanks little guys!



Nice chicks finish last. Wait...I think it's finish with fresh herbs. I'm not confusing anyone am I?

More detailed recipes and herb information to come soon. In the meantime, thanks be to Wendy! I had fun touring your little corner of paradise!

There you go!

2 comments:

Heffalump said...

Cilantro is Coriander?!
See how edumacational you are?

Anonymous said...

Yes it is. Typically around the US and south coriander refers to the seed and cilantro refers to the leafs. In eastern and asian countries it is simply coriander seed or coriander leaf.