Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ugly loaves... oven temperature

This is an Alien...eeek! Not something I see a lot of around these parts. I wanted to show this though because it is a very common problem when it comes to bread. The mutant loaf. I think it has super powers from radiation therapy. Pretty sure. Yea, she looks like a princess now, but wait until I turn her sideways...
Eeee-eee-eee... It raised really nicely over the pan. That is a goooo thing. What I didn't like was the overhangin' and the random dough that outgrew it's shell...

The sliced loaf really reveals it's odd shape. That's all I'll say about that.
It's like the wrong pair of jeans cutting me in half...boink. I have a friend who calls those "muffin top jeans"...

The main cause for this loaf looking like this? I didn't pre-heat my oven and I had a little too much dough in the pans. So, as the loaf rose, the oven temperature wasn't hot enough to kill the yeast action or to set up the protein fast enough for the loaf to set and hold in the shape. Note to self... don't be lazy about the pre-heat. I don't usually get lazy...and now, looking at this little princess, I remember why.
There you go.

3 comments:

Goob said...

why do i want to sing "Uh-Oh, Camel Toe"....lol

Wendy said...

Ahh!! I get it now! I have had muffin top bread loaves for years now and I know I often get impatient waiting for the oven to get hot. THANK YOU! I learn something from you every time I talk to you or read your blog. You are amazing.

Chef Tess said...

Wendy, thanks again for the wonderful herbs and eggs! We had green eggs and toast that was out of this world made pesto out of the basil and added some dill to the eggs! Thanks for being willing to share!...and Lisa...head shake. I laugh at you every time! I think you are the one who started me saying muffin top pants!