Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Grandma Neive's Arizona Medisterpølse

When we make sausage stuffing, we use something incredible.
Sometimes I wonder how I got to be so...eccentric. Weird. Nuts. Not sure when it started but I'm pretty sure my mother had something to do with it. As a teenager, I grumbled anytime someone said, "you're just like your Mom." Now I'm good with being a lot like her. Our cooking styles are so similar it's uncanny. I'm glad. I wouldn't have it any other way. So...this is her very non-traditional sausage. Home ground and stuffed in natural casing. Who does this anymore?! See...
I have to share this recipe from my mom. I think it really typifies what happens to normal Danish folk when they move to Arizona. We went from a very mild, almost sweet traditional Medisterpolse, to a very Southwestern flair. Thank you mom for sharing this wonderful recipe!

Mom said, "My first introduction to this sausage was by my sister, Maxine in 1972. Her recipe came from her Mother-in-love, Lily Larsen, who was a Danish immigrant. Medisterpolse is a holiday tradition in Denmark and Lily Larsen made sure her family enjoyed this treat at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Tess' aunt Maxine kept the tradition alive in her family and in the early-1990's she got the Christensen family to make medisterpolse the first Saturday in November, thus creating a new and beautiful family tradition. This recipe is NOT traditional Danish. In fact this adaption came about because our family lived in the Phoenix area for 6 years and came to enjoy the Southwest flavors found in ancho and chipotle chili's. The maple syrup was added because we love the flavor of maple syrup with sausage." I have to say, that the maple syrup is the real maple syrup. It makes an incredible difference. The actual recipe is written by my mother and it is done in such a way that you can make the traditional large batch, or a smaller batch. Smaller recipe quantities are in the parenthesis.

Grandma Neive's Arizona Medisterpølse
6 (3) (1.5) lbs hamburger
6 (3) (1.5) lbs ground pork (not pork sausage)
2 (1) (1/2) red onions or
4 (2) (1) leeks chopped fine
2 (1) (1/2 or 1-1/2 t) Tablespoons minced garlic
1 Tablespoon salt (1-1/2 t) (3/4 t)
1 Tablespoon ground white pepper (1-1/2 t) (3/4 t)
1 Tablespoon ancho chili powder
(1-1/2 t) (3/4 t) 1 (1/2) (1/4) teaspoon Essence of Emeril or Cajon seasoning
1 (1/2) (1/4) teaspoon chipotle chili powder (either McCormick or Pampered Chef varieties will work)
1/2 cup all purpose flour (1/4 c) (2 T)
2 (1) (1/2) cups water
1 (1/2) (1/4) cup pure maple syrup

Mix all of the above ingredients well. Force through sausage stuffer into natural casings - OR - form by hand into logs - OR - make into meatballs. Bake or fry sausages until done. NOTE: This recipe can be cut in half or into fourths according to the size of your family (see measurements in parenthesis for reduced size).
There you go!

No comments: