Monday, November 23, 2009

M&M chicken and roasted potatoes

With the holidays right at my doorstep I try to get ahead on freeze meals. Yes...so I can enjoy the Christmas season. I do a lot of freezer meals (Freezer Chick... ) and one that has become a standard meal around here is M&M chicken. I know. Right? Can you see your kiddos jumping around the house and praising your glorious name as a mother? Who in their right mind would really put M&M's in a dinner dish. Even sugar freaks have their limits...so I'm sure you'll be relieved to know that the "M&M" stands for Molasses &Mustard. Ah. Somehow I just disappointed a whole lot of sugar freaks. Don't worry. I think the chicken will make up for it. Hello my little chick-a-dee. Random...remember those old cartoons with the "I want to be a chicken hawk"? I always think of that poor humiliated yard bird. Ace didn't eat dinner with us tonight. Not even the potatoes that I tenderly placed on top of the chicken. It touched the meat. Sorry babe. I didn't do very well as a wife today. From the rest of the temporary carnivores, I heard accolades of praise and adoration. It's tangy and slightly sweet. Simple enough that even Ace would make it...if it was just the potatoes. So vegetarians...feel free to just use the veggies. It would be equally amazing using sweet potatoes in place of the regular potatoes or pork in place of the chicken. Whatever you have laying around. Today I used a crock pot, but it also bakes wonderfully in the Solar Oven!

For the M&M chicken or pork you will need:
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast or boneless thigh meat
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup whole grain mustard (the other mustard is just too strong...)
All purpose seasoning or salt and pepper

Combine the molasses and mustard. Use 1/4 cup of the prepared sauce to Coat the chicken well and then season with the all purpose seasoning or salt/pepper. Place the chicken at the bottom of a 4 quart crock pot, or solar oven I use a roaster that fits just inside the cooker with a lid.

For the Vegetables to go on top of the chicken:
4-5 medium potatoes, cut into wedges (peeled if you prefer) Fresh sweet potatoes are insane here...but do be sure to peel those.
1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup of the prepared mustard glaze
1/4 cup apple juice
1/4 cup olive oil or melted butter
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, onions, glaze, juice and butter. Season well with salt and pepper. Place over the chicken. Crock pot low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. Solar oven, 3 hours in full sun.
It looks so rustic and earthy. Oh I love that! Again, if you prefer to peel your potatoes, feel free. I just love the extra fiber and the down home look that they have this way.

Solar oven or crock pot...this is fast dinner and usually well received by meat eaters anywhere. There you go...my little chicken hawks.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

Looks like Christmas with the red & green! I have to admit, when I read M&M Chicken I thought "what?" LOL. Love the sound of the whole recipe - chicken & veggies!

Goob said...

I am definitely going to be trying this. My mom used to make pork chops smothered with mustard and brown sugar, salt and pepper, and then baked in milk. I LOVE those pork chops, so I'm thinking this is going to be a fairly similar flavor, only better 'cuz its not just on top!

mlebagley said...

mmmm...yummy! No fair to have something this delicious on when I'm stuck at work in front of the computer! There you go making me drool all over myself....again!