Monday, November 16, 2009

My Birthday

As a matter of random thought...Sunday was my birthday. One of those epic old birthdays I don't want to talk about. Well, it's not too old yet...but it's peeking that direction and totally freaking me out. Yet with all the love I've felt I can't help but talk...

I didn't get a new puppy...despite my children looking as totally pathetic and cute as possible. In the early part of the weekend I was able to make pecan pie with my dear friend Gena (who's dog had puppies). Even with all the whining...no puppy. We did take home a pecan pie. Seems they don't leave pecan pellets on the carpet...unlike said "pathetically-cute" puppy.
I didn't get to see my sister, Auntie Em in person or go on a long rambling walk through the snow...but I did get to finally see her smiling face on Face book. Look at this face. What's not to love?! Smooooches. Big slobbery ones. She doesn't leave pellets on the carpet either.
I didn't have to bake a cake...but I did finally get those left handed bakers tips...and a new bag. There was also a 5 lb block of carmel and a 10 lb block of imported chocolate. My hips say..."Thanks mom". Jiggle jiggle...
I didn't get a new Sourdough starter(old ones are better anyway)...but I did get a new crock to put my 250 year old magic sourdough starter of joy and love in. Much nicer, I might add, than the old plastic container that used to hold the flax seed and I was to lazy to even take the label off. Thanks King Arthur. (Oh...and Mom again). Sniff deeply...that's love right there baby.
I didn't get a big party...but I did get...
Aunt Jen's amazing walnut brittle...no pellets here either.
Black and White fudge cake...feel free to bask in the chocolate glow. Yes, I did have it for breakfast. I will also be doing a full Zumba session this afternoon.
Today I had breakfast with Sally, my dear friend since I was 15 years old. This same Sally has the exact same birthday as I do, on the exact same year. No, I'm not telling how old I am. A woman who would tell that can't be trusted. She couldn't keep any secrets. Okay. Sally however, is 35.
One big "finally"... a pedicure. This my friends, represents the first in my life. Yes, this is the first real-from-the-salon-pedicure I have ever had. It was so wonderful to have Sally there to share the experience.
Birthdays are good for a lot of things. Most importantly for a sweet reminder that life is good, God is great, and I have been blessed beyond my ability to every pay it back. Thank the Lord for the greatest gift of all...His Son. Amen. There you go.

2 comments:

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

The walnut brittle looks absolutely yummy - I had some peanut brittle from See's the other week, I'll never eat cheap brittle again!

Glad you had a fabulous birthday!

Salsa Mama said...

Happy Birthday!! I love your friend Sally's name... :) Glad you had a great day!