Monday, March 22, 2010

Fruit Crisp Mix

It may be still cold enough somewhere in the world to make a warm dessert. We're pushing it. After wandering around my yard for about two hours bare foot, I knew we had achieved Spring. However, I wanted to share on of my favorite mixes for Mix Monday. I love fruit crisp. If you ever have the chance to make one, I highly recommend it as a comforting dessert at the end of a nice home style meal. We usually serve it with a little sweet cream drizzled over the top. When I'm feeling more evil, it gets a healthy scoop of ice cream. This is a fresh peach and pear crisp with hazelnut cream.


My Basic Fruit Crisp Recipe
Crisp Topping Mix
:

1 cup rolled oats or quick oats (or 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs, 1/2 cup rolled oats)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp high grade cinnamon or Chef Tess Wise Women of the East Spice Blend
1/2 cup chopped nuts (of your choice, I love hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, or walnuts)
1/2 tsp dried lemon zest.

Combine topping ingredients in a 1 quart bag and save for whenever you want crisp. I've given this mix with a home canned jar of fruit and cooking instructions. It's a wonderfully thoughtful gift. Don't you think?
To prepare:
You will need 4 cups prepared fruit (I used peaches and pears for this one, peeled, seeded, and sliced. You can used fresh or frozen berries, plums, apples or cherries.)
Put 4 cups fruit in an 8inch by 8 inch casserole. Add 1/4 cup melted butter to the topping mix. Stir well. Sprinkle over the fruit. Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 40-45 minutes. Serve warm with whip cream or ice cream.
There you go.

3 comments:

Goob said...

my mom used to make delicious apple crisp, fairly frequently growing up. I wonder why I rarely think to make it?

Olivia said...

Could I use my own canned fruit. I have a ton of canned pears I preserved last fall that we're not eating because, well , we don't eat pears that much (silly, I know, but they were really cheap!). And what about the Church'es (LDS) dehydrated apples?

As always, thank you!

Chef Tess said...

Use your own canned pears! It's wonderful if you add vanilla or brandy extract to the drained fruit, about 2 tsp mixed into the fruit. I like canned pears with some fresh or frozen berries mixed into them for a crisp as well. Blackberries are amazing with pears! You can definitely use the cannery dehydrated apples. Rehydrate them first according to the directions, I add a T of fresh lemon juice and zest to them and some cinnamon or fresh grated nutmeg. Very good question Olivia!