Sunday, March 21, 2010

New Life...




Sunday is the day I share a piece of my soul. Enjoy.
About six weeks ago we welcomed a new little girl into our family. Her name is Elsie. My sister in law gave birth to little Elsie. I think it's the perfect name for her strong spirit. I have to admit right here, that I may have had a few pangs of jealousy when she was born. Oh how I don't miss those sleepless nights or the endless trail of diapers. I don't miss smelling like baby barf for six months. On the other hand, there is some kind of powerful energy that enters a home when a new baby arrives. That is what I miss. At any rate, I just want to say, straight out, that I am excited to see how well Elsie has been received in her new home. She doesn't want for love or attention.
I think that when new life arrives it can be nourished and appreciated, cherished and coddled, or in other cases, ignored and neglected...maybe even go completely unappreciated for the beauty it can bring. When I hear of women who dump a new baby in a trash can, or leave it somewhere to die I want to just scream. Really scream. I wonder why a child would come to someone like that instead of someone who would really love it. Anyone else ever question it? Of all the sad stories, those are the ones that break my heart. Those are the ones that make me literally cry.
So, it comes to this, what do you do when new life comes to you? Not just a new baby but perhaps an change you may not expect? Is it embraced, appreciated and cherished for the powerful new energy it can bring? Is it looked upon with excitement despite the long string of sleepless nights and perceived negatives that come with it? It may be a new stage of life. It may be something that will forever change the world if you let it. New life. I'm going to cherish every minute of it.

5 comments:

GrammaKatheesKitchen said...

Beutifully written. Those are my sentiments exactly. Thank you.

Goob said...

embrace.
This makes me think a little about a question posed in Sunday School today. "If you knew then what you know now, how might you have changed your response to a past trial?"
I thought to myself, I would have had so much more HOPE! If I could have known then, that there literally was a new life waiting for me to embrace it, to partake of it, I would have grabbed hold of it so much sooner!
We are so blessed to have our afflictions consecrated by God for our good. The trials he blesses us with truly are the stuff that we become made of. I have come to believe quite literally in the old cliche- "That which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger."
Its certainly been my experience. Up to and including childbirth.

Chef Tess said...

Thank you Kathleen. Amen Lisa!

mlebagley said...

Very beautiful! That baby...is so precious! THank you for sharing!

Darkblue said...

Absolutely gorgeous post-I'm pregnant with our third blessing, and your faith, hope, and wisdom are a continued inspiration. Change is not always pleasant and it can be easy to question the meaning of our path, but I can honestly say that all of the new lives and changes and choices I have encountered have ultimately manifested into blessings beyond all that I could have dreamt for. Thank you for sharing!