Wednesday, March 24, 2010

More Sticky buns...and some Savory ones too...

Yesterday for Tutorial Tuesday we did some crazy cream cheese filled sticky buns. Sticky buns are evil enough. Filled with warm cream cheese, truely inspired. Add to that the fact that these ones can be made and frozen (unbaked) and are ready to have at a moment's notice...and you have the makings of something truly sick and ...right. Very right. Last night we made a few more batches. For full details, please see yesterdays posts on the dough recipe as well as the cream cheese filling. I'm only including the variations here...as I know the pictures may just make you cry...and wish you where here. Don't worry...I wish you where here too.

The first is an orange sticky bun with a chocolate cream cheese filling.

You will omit the nuts in the recipe, add 1T fresh orange zest to the caramel topping mixture. When you make the cream cheese filling, add 1 tsp rum extract. You will need 4-6 ounces of dark wonderful quality chocolate, chopped into small pieces.

When you stuff the buns, put a tablespoon of chopped chocolate on top of the cream cheese. Wrap and fold as usual. I added cherries in between the rolls.

When it was baked...

it tasted like pure heaven.
The other batch of buns I made was a savory bun. Just for those guys and dolls who like a less sweet roll. Pesto and Black Pepper rolls stuffed with Blue Cheese. On the bottom of the pan I spread 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto. Feel free to experiment here, but I'm thinking sun dried tomato pesto would be outstanding. I cracked pepper over the pesto. For the filling of the buns I used 1T crumbled blue cheese. Later I regretted not adding a clove or two of roasted garlic or some kind of other savory filling item like chopped bell peppers.
Then again...


They where still amazing with the crust of pesto bread.

The melted blue cheese just dribbling out was so pretty.
Right off the top of my head, I see about fifty different variations I can make of this roll dough. Do I have enough room in my jeans to try them all out? Nope. However, I will make continued valiant efforts to update y'all on my progress. Give me your ideas. I think we could cause some serious damage. Don't you?!

There you go.

3 comments:

mlebagley said...

So I'm reading along and I see 'chocolate' and 'marachino cherries' AND THEN I see the picture of the cream cheese/chocolate goo melting out of the buns and my jaw literally dropped! And of course the salivary glands got rumbling into action. You are genius. I love it! Savory blue cheese and pesto....totally different direction for these buns but absolutely lovely. Mmmmm...yummy

Goob said...

i was totally expecting the picture of the orange chocolate ones to be be pineapple, guess the maraschino cherries reminded me of pineapple upside down cake. Therefore, I think it must be done! And that makes me think that a sweet/savory version including Thai Sweet Chili sauce must also be attempted.
They look mah-ve-lous.

Chef Tess said...

Oh you rock Lisa! Yes...Thai sweet chile with some kind of pepper puree in the dough itself...and some sausage filling...or that stuff they put in crab angels. OH now you've got me thinking! Dangerous!!