Sunday, June 13, 2010

Growing Upward and Becoming as a Child

Bread of Life Sunday is my time to break away from food and share a little of my soul. Enjoy.

I get a lot of questions about how I garden vertically. How do I fasten the vines to the poles? How do I trim the plants? How do I...
Of all the growing things I've seen this far in the garden, the one that has been the most exciting to see is the joy in my children's faces when the flowers finally showed up on the seeds they received from the church children's ministry (we call it the Primary). Their teacher brought the planted seeds to our home in little plastic cups with a note attached to each one. After it sprouted, due to careful watering and tending, we transferred the sprouts to our garden wall. We finally saw the finished plant.


It is tall and sturdy. It is beautiful because they worked at it. It is, in fact, a true living testimony of what I know to be true.

What is it that helps belief grow into a firm Faith? Sometimes it just takes a good Gardener.
The Master Gardener of my soul is ever willing to fill my life with beauty and open my eyes as they once saw when I was a child.

Thank you Lord for giving me another day to live in joy and grace. Thank you to good teachers who go the extra mile to make sure that all children feel they are important, needed and loved.
Thank you to Little Man and Face, for once again, showing me that growing up is not to put away child-like wonder, but childish tendencies. Growing up is not to stop believing in miracles. Growing up is giving power, energy and hope to wonderful dreams. Growing up is preparing for the worst, expecting the best and working with all the strength you have. In the end, growing up is seeing the fruit you expected, with a gasp of sheer bliss. Knowing that God is in control of your life, growing up is handing that life over to the Almighty. The Master Gardener surely can do more with that seed than we ever can with our own efforts. Walking in humility is not walking in self hate or wallowing in self pity. It is acknowledging total dependence on a higher power, and living in such a way that you can confidently call upon that power unapologetic. When your heart is right with God and men...there is nothing you cannot accomplish. I know this is true. I have seen miracles large and great. Two of them live in my home and call me...mother.

4 comments:

aswesow said...

That is beautiful!
Genesis 1:31 " Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good."

Chef Tess said...

Amen to that!

rosemary said...

"Growing up is preparing for the worst, expecting the best and working with all the strength you have."

The expecting the best part is so very important. For at times we go through tough times to the extent that we begin to live in fear of the worst. Counting your blessings and taking note of the miracles should always remind us that He is indeed in control.

Chef Tess said...

Rosemary, we are truly kindred spirits. I feel the same way.