Friday, November 26, 2010

Apple, Sausage and Wild Rice stuffed Acorn Squash (Freezer Friday)

It's Freezer Meal Friday once again. Never mind that it's "black Friday". My children have been obsessing lately with zombies. No. Not the Grinch. Do not ask me why they are worried about getting their brains sucked by half-living-leg-dragging freaks. I have no one to blame but my husband Ace ...who apparently loves old weird sci-fi movies from the 70's. Yup. I have one of those guys who thinks "Omega Man" was cool. I was not impressed...but he has certainly gleaned priceless information to compile a big "game plan" for total survival should that become a real-world scenario. Yes. The army of undead walking brain suckers might actually happen. Dude...Look...I never claimed to be married to the brightest bulb on the tree. Should that ever "really" happen, I'm taking these frozen squash-bad-boys out of the freezer an hurling them down the street at the angry mob of brain eating troglodytes. Behold my awesome power you freaks! I'm certain it would buy us enough time to light explosives...and gas cans and crap. Now there's a visual certain to haunt you the rest of your days. Sorry about that.

On the more practical side, it does give me ammo for dinner most nights of the week. It's a powerful thing to be able to triumphantly raise a frozen squash over your head and pronounce, "Prepare to worship me! For behold, I hold the power of the squash!" That may not really happen either. More recently, this recipe has been a great use for those acorn squash we've been collecting in droves from the garden. I'm pretty sure that they are not alien egg pods. I'm wearing foil on my head just in case though. Relax. Alas, they are just food for my hungry family of zombies. I will not mention how I lose my brain cells just thinking about motherhood. Wait...I mentioned it just now huh? Sucking the brain cell (singular) out right now in fact...as I post this blog entry...

Apple Sausage and Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash

You will need:


3 medium acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed.

Stuffing:
1/2 cup cooked maple sausage (about 6 oz), 1/2 cup chopped granny smith apple,
1 1/2 cup cooked wild rice (well seasoned with Chef Tess All Purpose Seasoning )
1/2 cup condensed soup of your choice, I use my Homemade cream of condensed soup replacement , 1/2 cup cooked carrots, 1/4 cup chopped red onion, 2T minced fresh parsley, 1/4 cup mashed roasted garlic,

Combine well.

Sprinkle the squash with Chef Tess All Purpose Seasoning and stuff squash with 1/3-1/2 cup filling.
To cook in oven, place in an oven safe dutch oven or covered casserole. Bake 350 degrees 35-40 minutes, until squash is tender. I had to use both of my dutch ovens for all six halves.

To cook in microwave: Place in covered microwave safe container and cook on high 7 minutes, turning half way through cooking.






Allow to cool 5 minutes before cutting into squash. Serve immediately or make into a freezer meal.
To Freeze. place one half stuffed squash into a quart size freezer bag and remove as much air as possible. Put in the fridge until well chilled and transfer to the freezer. To serve, remove from bag and microwave on high from frozen 5-7 minutes. To heat in the oven, remove from freezer bag. Place in covered casserole and bake 350 degrees 35-40 minutes if defrosted, or 45-50 minutes from frozen. May cover with cheese the last 10 minutes of baking or just before microwaving.

There you go. Freaks.

1 comment:

mlebagley said...

I have recently discovered that butternut squash is YUMMY! I'm totally going to make this. Anything with Wild rice (Uncle Bens has a great mix for that one...can you figure out that mix?! That would rule) and cream of gunk soup is all right by me. Big smiles! Thanks so much for sharing!