Sunday, November 21, 2010

I Can't Do it Alone (Bread of Life Section)

Sunday is the day I share a little of my soul. Enjoy.


For my birthday last week, I bought a wire sculpture from a dearly creative kindred spirit. I've looked at it every day since. I've thought of how sad and alone it looks without jewels or leaves...and I've wondered if I have ever been guilty of being such a beautiful, yet lone tree. I remember, before I was married, thinking that I would be one of those trees. Alone, old, barren...and oh how my perspective has changed. I see those married who are sometimes more utterly alone than those who are unwed. It is all a matter of...perspective.

Have I ever failed to have the humility to reach out and say, "I can't do this alone."

I'm quite certain, that Heavenly Father doesn't want me to come back home...alone. I'm sure he wants me to bring some friends and family with me back to His rest. I want to recognize the fact that none of us came here to be alone. No one.

I totally agree with Hamlet...

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Hamlet, I, iii, 78–80

You can be guilty of being true to yourself...and untrue to your fellow man. One can't be "an island" and stand alone when others are in desperate need of love. It's contrary to why we're here. Even worse, I've seen those in suffering who think, "I can do this alone." I myself, have been guilty of that at one time or another. Yet this changed my mind...

" The “isolated self” shut off from the Light of Christ makes us become fallible—open to delusion. The balance and perspective which come from caring about others and allowing others to care for us form the essence of life itself. We need the inspired help of others to avoid deceiving ourselves. It has always been a mystery to me why the intellectual elite sometimes shut themselves off from the Spirit of God." Robert D. Hales


Most of all...we need to reach out to God. His Spirit can comfort us in ways mortals are unable to fathom. "Is it possible...that when Satan and his minions roam the earth inspiring deceit, discouragement, and despair, that we who have been armed with the most potent antidote on earth—the gift of the Holy Ghost—don’t always fully partake of that gift? Are we guilty of spiritually just “getting by” and not accessing the power and protection within our reach? Are we satisfied with far less than the Lord is willing to give us, essentially opting to go it alone here rather than partner with the Divine?"--Sheri Dew.


It is to that end, that I say to you, my dear amazing friends...be the angel in an other's life. Lift hands that hang down and build one another. Turn others to God. I know that we are here for one another. We are the hands of God on earth.When I take time to notice simple things in life, I never lack for encouragement and strength. I discover that I am surrounded by limitless hope that's wearing everyday clothes. Not all God's angels will come to us disguised as mortals...but most of them will. To all my angel friends...thank you.

I hope you have an amazing Thanksgiving this week.

2 comments:

aswesow said...

Looks a bit like the trees around here this time of year, but if you look close you'll see the buds that will bloom next spring.
Have a great Thanksgiving!

Chef Tess said...

Buds that will bloom next spring! Oh I love that symbolism and hope. Using it in my heart today. Perfectly amazing how God works, isn't it?