Monday, December 13, 2010

Chef Tess Magic Fudge Mix

Who wouldn't love a box of vanilla infused butter nut fudge for the holidays. Mind you...this will be staring at them until the entire box of confection is snorted down. I made fudge mix originally from the first Christmas on my blog two years ago here: Oh Fudge On a Sheetpan! It's a great mix and rather basic. However, I recently have been exposed to some things that make for even better fudge mix and I thought it high time to update the original recipe. Plus, I'm teaching a fudge class Tuesday night at 6:30 at the Preparing Wisely Store in Mesa, Arizona.



Well, because life isn't full of sinful enough convenience foods, right? Let's add evil fudge mix to our list. Please. You know you need it.
Chef Tess Magic Fudge Mix (Updated)

2 lb powdered sugar
1 cup Powdered Butter
2 cups cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 tsp double strength vanilla, /2 tsp rum extract
1/2 tsp chef Tess Wise Woman of The East Spice Blend
pinch of cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a kitchen aid with the paddle attachment until well blended. Place in a gallon size freezer bag. I store the bags in the fridge or freezer. Great gift for the holidays! When the holiday get closer, I simply slip the mix into a fabric bag with the directions to mix on a cute tag. Give it way not just for the winter holidays, but for Mother's Day. Father's Day. Tuesday.

To prepare,
Put mix in a microwave safe bowl with 3/4 cup water and heat about 2 minutes stirring well. Heat one more minute. In the meantime line an 8 inch by 8 inch cake pan with foil then spray the foil with nonstick coating. Pour the melted mix into the foil lined pan and top with nuts or dried fruit if desired. Leave pan out to cool 3-4 hours or overnight. Remove from the pan, and take off the foil. Cut into 1 inch squares, yield 4 dozen love bombs. about 4 lbs of fudge.
There you go.

Fudge and Cobbler Mix class is Tuesday night at 6:30 pm. Free to the public.

Preparing Wisely
144 S Mesa Drive Suite D
Mesa, AZ 85203

(480) 964-3077

8 comments:

Dori said...

Adding powdered butter to my prep list...but in the meantime, what would be the non-powdered butter substitution be? Would it work still? Please say yes, because this looks like something I Must Make.

Thanks!

Jen said...

I do not have access to powdered butter. Can I substitute anything for this?

Jen

Chef Tess said...

1 cup of regular butter, softened to room temperature and worked into the powdered sugar cocoa mixture will also work fine as long as it is worked into very tiny pieces. Decrease the water in the final preparation to 1/2 cup.

aswesow said...

I like this. My daughter made it(with regular margarine)it was great. Why do you use cayenne pepper in chocolaty stuff? Why store it in the freezer? I'm having a hard time sourcing powdered butter...but when we do I want make some mix. Is there a dry substitute for vanilla? I know there is no substitute for the Wise Woman of The East Spie Blend!

Chef Tess said...

I use the cayanne in chocolate to help counteract the sweetness, but also to add depth to the chocolate. Just enough...but not too hot. You can infuse powedered sugar with vanilla by keeping a vanilla bean in the powdered sugar for a couple weeks. Or use the flavored oil and add it with butter. Honeyville Grain sells great powdered butter. Long shelf life too...so that's always a perk. By the way, I always love your comments. They make me smile. Thank you!

aswesow said...

Feel free to delete this comment, I thought you might be interested in this tho, since your recipe inspired it (not because of any deficiency)
http://aswesow.blogspot.ca/2012/04/toviel-microwave-fudge-mix.html

Anonymous said...

If you want to heat this on the stove instead of using a microwave, when is it ready to pour into the pan? Does it need to reach a certain temperature?

Chef Tess said...

I'll have to test that. I've never actually made it on the stove. How weird is that?!