Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Beginnings (Bread of Life Section)

Sunday is the day I share a little of my soul. Enjoy.

Last week in the women's Relief Society class we talked about what it means to have a resolution. What does it mean? It means having a resolve to do better. It means, to me, laying aside those things that I was holding on to that were keeping me from becoming my best self. What does it mean? Often people make resolutions and don't finish what they started. I can admit that for many years that was the case for me. Yet in the past few years I have seen myself evolve from one who makes resolutions to one who keeps resolutions. There is a difference.


A resolution is a promise you make to yourself. Yet often times it is easy to break those promises made to self. Think about it...if you were to make a promise to someone you really admire, and value beyond life itself...would you easily set aside that promise the first time a challenge came up? Or would you fight with all you had to keep that promise? It is a promise right? Yet...do you value yourself enough as a son or daughter of God (and all that goes with that title) to be true to the promises you make to yourself? That is what I'm challenging today.



I promise to myself this year to lay down my weapons of war...against myself. Self destructive talk, food...whatever it may be that devalues who I am as a daughter of God. I'm laying down my weapons and burying them this year.

Don't look back this year. I loved this. Happy New Year.

3 comments:

aswesow said...

Luke 9:62
Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”

Seems harsh doesn't it? The Latter Day Saints sure do make some good video clips.
Somehow I'm feeling a little disturbed, knowing that I myself, no matter how resolved will fall short on my own. But then if I could do it on my own, then Christ died for nothing. Don't look back, keep looking up, and Happy New Year.

Chef Tess said...

Amen. We all fall short...that's what the atonement is all about. I for one am not ever going to say I'm close to perfect...but I'm trying to be like Jesus and do as He would have me do. I think that's the best part of looking forward with faith...is that it is possible to have a new life. Not perfect...but ever improving every day.

mlebagley said...

This was a powerful thought! Burying my weapons of war against myself... that hit me today as I read this posting. Thank you for sharing. I'm going burying today, just like you. Me to. Me to.