Sunday, January 22, 2012

How Do You Know It's Good?

Sunday is the day I share a little of my soul. Enjoy.
Today I just want to pose a question, How do you know? How do you know that the Truth is the truth? What do you know without having to think so much about it? What is  that feeling in my gut that I can't really put into words but that ultimately lead me to open up new doors and question everything? For me, it was the feeling in my gut that made me want to know for myself if Jesus was really the God of the universe...not just a nice teacher who lived long ago. I followed that feeling. That feeling nagged me deep down until I had read as many books as I could find on the subject from both religious and non-religious folks. I wanted to explore this because I wanted to make a decision on what my core values would be. If I was going to follow the philosophy of a mere mortal who some revered as "deity"...I wanted to know it. If I was going to follow a real divine being who came to earth, occupied a tabernacle of clay and returned to His Father in that resurrected  body...I wanted to know it.  Ultimately, one way or another, everyone will have to know and choose for themselves what they believe.  I can't really put into words what a powerful and rewarding journey that was for me. I can however put into words a simple truth that I believe. I tasted of His love. I felt His spirit in my heart. I don't just believe that Jesus lived upon the earth, but that he still lives...not just in some essence that's untouchable or "intangible" but as a being as tangible as I am. In Acts 1:10-11 it read, "As you see him go, so likewise will he return again." 


From the beginning, there have been many who have listened to the voice of the adversary. Some whisper. Some will not only whisper, but yell at full volume, "He is not the Son of God. Don't accept him. He's just an ordinary man. He's just a teacher with interesting ideas."  Can I join my voice to the side of God and say with all the power in my heart, "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your beliefs." Follow that gut feeling. The light that leads you to even wonder at all if Christ was real is the light that will help you gain a personal witness of what you need to do with your life. It will help you decide. But, when it's all said and done, the one who has to decide for YOU if it's good and that He is what He said He is...is you. You cannot live on borrowed light forever. Sooner or later, you will have to find for yourself. I promise, when you do, it will be better than anything you've ever tasted, felt or experienced in life. The best part is that that feeling will continue as you continue to follow the Savior. It will get better and brighter. I can honestly say that I know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is real. He loves me. He knows me.
If you don't know it, start to ask those questions you need to ask. Then you too, must choose for yourself what you will do with what you learn. How do you know it is good? Will you share it with me? What made you choose to be a Christian?


There it is.
Always My Very Best,
Your Sister Chef Tess

3 comments:

aswesow said...

We are supposed to be ready with an answer, and yet I find myself struggling to put it in words! As christians we always point to the bible and quote scripture, but to some one who doesn't believe the bible is the infallible word of God why would that hold any more value than a quote from Oprah? I think everyone knows there is a spritual realm, it is just natural, what sets Christianity apart from other religions is our risen saviour who has redeemed us. Without that I think it would be hopeless for me.

Herbalpagan said...

this is such a simple thing and yet so difficult to put in words (aswesow said it well)!
I think at some point, you have to take that leap of faith and just believe. Faith is not scientific, I believe it takes "just knowing" the truth in your heart.
I, obviously,now have a different truth that is right for me, but I also studied and believe in the Bible...how did I know it was the truth: Faith.

Chef Tess said...

Indeed. I love how it is just that gut feeling...and the faith is good. It leads us to explore and learn and ask for ourselves what we need for our own lives. Everyone, ultimately must do what they think is right for them. It's such a personal thing.