Monday, February 27, 2012

Vegetable Fried Rice in a Jar (52 Method Continues)

Okay...It's really not fried rice. I don't fry it. It's a lot healthier that way and my family hasn't noticed a difference. However, I can say that all eight cups of cooked food looked like this before cooking: 
Vegetable Fried Rice in a Jar
If you are new... 
 my series on homemade convenience meals you will want to read the Introduction to the 52 Method It's a very fun way of preparing meals ahead of time for emergencies or everyday use.  It's a basic menu planning method for food storage based on meals that your family will eat, having all the ingredients in one-quart size jar. ONE jar...easy to find. Easy to plan.  I think it's an idea that's been a long time coming and this is yet another recipe.  You will be using a method called "vacuum pack canning". No liquid or pressure canning is necessary. If you opt to use the freeze dried meat in the recipes, please note NOTE: The repacking of Freeze Dried Meat must be done within 24-48 hours of opening the can and must be done in a dry environment. Once repacked you must use an oxygen absorber to make sure there is a vacuum oxygen free environment. Mylar bags can also be used instead of jars, but it is not recommended to use Ziploc bags as the sole source of storage if you are including meat. 


This week's recipe is one that I converted from one of my favorite food storage meals, Ham Fried Rice. Originally it was for a cooking class on how to use freeze-dried and dehydrated eggs . It's been a long-time favorite at our house without the ham because of my husband's vegetarian preferences. This one got added to the food storage meals-in-a-jar with the advent of   Soy Sauce Powder into my life. I used Chef Tess Thrive Life for the food in this post. 



In the can, they are cooked and freeze-dried pieces of scrambled egg. They are different than egg powder or egg crystals. They can only be used for meals where it calls for cooked eggs. Fried rice is a perfect fit for this!
 We enjoy them in breakfast burritos and skillet meals. 

 Chef Tess Vegetable Fried Rice In A Jar

Ingredients in the jar:
1 cup freeze dried scrambled eggs
1 cup long grain rice
1 cup freeze dried Vegetable Mix of your choice (corn, peas, carrots)
1/4 cup freeze dried onion
1/4 cup freeze dried celery
1/4 cup freeze dried bell peppers
1/4 cup freeze dried mushrooms
1T Haco vegetarian ham base or 1T chicken bullion (chicken won't have a smoky flavor)
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp garlic granules (or powder)
1/2 cup Soy Sauce Powder  (shake it down into the vegetables when you add them)

Put all ingredients in a jar. I use a funnel. In order to get it all in, you will need to shake the soy sauce powder into the vegetables. Top with a 300 cc oxygen absorber to make the meal shelf stable.  This is good 5-7 years. I't great for emergency food storage or to use for dinner during a busy week. 

To Prepare:
Bring 4 cups of water to a rolling boil in a gallon size pot with a tight-fitting lid. Combine contents of the jar with the boiling water. Stir. Reduce heat to very low. Cover and simmer very low 20-25 minutes until all the rice is cooked and the vegetables are tender. Serve hot. Yield 8 cups of cooked Vegetable Fried Rice.

There you go! Have fun with this one! 

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess


10 comments:

Ruby Jean said...

Oh another YUMMY creation... :) I have NEVER heard of Freeze Dried Eggs..

Heather said...

Would this work using the egg crystals instead?

karen said...

Just found this on Pinterest...and I'm vibrating with excitement!! Can't wait to read all of these recipes AND IMPLEMENT THEM! Thank-you x3!

Anonymous said...

Was that really 1/2 CUP soy sauce powder? I followed the link and a 4 oz. spice jar of soy sauce powder is $3.04 without shipping. That seems really expensive to me if you have to put 1/2 cup of the stuff in one batch of fried rice. It also seems like the recipe would be very salty with the ham base plus the soy sauce powder. Can you clarify?

Thanks.

Chef Tess said...

I bought the powder in bulk for that reason. When it is hydrated, it takes 1/2 cup powder to 1/4 cup water to make 1/4 cup soy sauce...This is to season almond 9 cups of cooked food. It's not too salty, but if you feel like it would be too salty for your taste, you can reduce the amount of the soy sauce powder. Again, these measurements are to my family's liking. It didn't taste too salty.

John said...

Vegetarian please!

Chef Tess said...

Vegetarian, omit the egg and use 1 cup less water in preparation.

Anonymous said...

When I was purchasing the soy sauce from the vendor link you posted I noticed several other great powders I would like to try in food storage. Along with the soy sauce I noticed BBQ, buffalo wing sauce, lemon/lime juice etc. in your recipe you call for 5-7 yr shelf life. Would you expect the same from the other powder varieties when mixed with FD food?

Chef Tess said...

Yes. They're all great! I've tried almost all of their powders and I really love the taste of them.

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog due to the sinful site called Pinterest. I am so glad I did. My son was just asking for MRIs for his Boy Scout camping trips. Plus, the recipes all look so wonderful that we want to try them out at home too.
Now, as to why I'm posting. I have been copying down all your recipes, with plans to buy your books, and have come to a realization: most of your mixes cook in 15-20 minutes. That is about the length of time a rice cooker cooks. Have you ever tried cooking your recipes in a rice cooker? Just a thought.
Sincerely,
Coralei
Oregon