Friday, February 15, 2013

Vegan Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Almond Flour Cracker Tutorial

Have you ever met my favorite Almond Flour? On this one I'm brand specific for a reason. This is the finest milled almond flour I can find and it has remarkable texture in baked good. I didn't want almond meal. I wanted a flour that would bake remarkably well. Thank you Honeyville!

In the past I've shared some great recipes on the blog using almond flour including my:

how to make remarkable doughnuts,
 and Savory Bell Pepper Bread. 
In the past I also have shared the tutorial on how to make 
Those recipes have generally used egg as part of the binding and I wanted to share a vegan version today that uses an alternative for the gluten and egg known as xanthan gum. If you've never baked with it, it is a great way to keep gluten-free products together (so they don't crumble apart) and adds some texture to baked goods similar to eggs and gluten.

For the vegan crackers you will need:
1 3/4 cups Almond Flour,
2 tsp Chef Tess Italian Seasoning(or alternative of your choice)
1 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/4 cup water

 The main thing with using the Xanthan Gum is knowing that it is a natural.
 It is produced by the fermentation of glucose or sucrose, by the Xanthomonas campestris bacterium. After a fermentation period, the polysaccharide is precipitated from a growth medium with isopropyl alcohol, dried, and ground into a fine powder. Later, it is added to a liquid medium to form the gum. It is a natural carbohydrate. Here's how to use it in your flour in place of gluten. 
Combine all the ingredients for the crackers. I also add 2T of sesame seeds to my crackers. I just love the added crunch. Roll out the dough on a large baking stone (pizza stone). 
 The dough shouldn't be sticky, but should you have a problem, sprinkle a little almond flour on top of the crackers or cover with parchment paper to roll. It will need to be 1/8th of an inch thick. 
Cut with a sharp knife into cracker squares. 
 Bake 350 degrees 12-15 minutes (depending on the thickness of the crackers).
The sesame seeds give an really nice flavor to the crackers.


There you go my darlings!
Bake some almond flour crackers!

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess














2 comments:

Charlotte Moore said...

How can I get the Savory Bell Pepper bread recipe? It will not come up when I click on it.

Chef Tess said...

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2012/10/my-top-favorite-tips-tricks-and-recipes.html is the link. It is sundried tomato bread. My bad.