Monday, March 18, 2013

2 Sun Cooked Meals baked at once!



 I switched out my regular corned beef and cabbage with a braised lamb and 5 grain stew for St. Patrick's Day. In addition, I made a new food storage recipe for turkey and stuffing casserole. I decided, "what the hey-diddly-dooo"...and stacked the pots to cook all at once in my New All American Sun Oven  from Honeyville! It had been a while since I did a lot of new stuff in my solar oven but cooking with the owner of Sun Oven International, Paul Munsen,  inspired me! As a random side note, on St. Patrick's day I decided wearing a kilt to church wasn't going to happen, so stacking pans while I was away would have to do it. Then of course that is when my son got sick and I had to stay home anyway. No. I didn't wear a kilt. I know you were curious.

The best part of doing two meals, was I didn't have to cook dinner the next day. I simply cooled the stuffing meal and put it in the fridge for re-heating later. It was ready to go. Two meals at a time is an awesome way to do dinner! I'm hooked!






Food Storage Turkey Stuffing Casserole
Thank you to Honeyvillegrain.com for the specialty ingredients!

2 1/2 cups Honeyville Freeze dried turkey (about 1 1/2 lbs fresh chopped turkey equivalent)
1 cup Honeyville freeze dried mushroom
1/2 cup Honeyville  freeze dried bell pepper
1/2 cup Honeyville freeze dried celery
1/4  cup Honeyville dehydrated onion
1/2 cup Honeyville milk powder
1/2 cup Honeyville cheese sauce powder
1 tsp Chef Tess French Provencal essential seasoning

4 cups Chef Tess Homemade Stove Cook Stuffing

It is possible to make this a shelf stable meal (up to 6 months) if you use a PET container with a metal lid and ring. I like using this one...a lot. My son Face asks for it weekly! To do so, place the turkey mixture in the bottom of a half-gallon jar and place the stuffing mix in a bag on top.  Remember it is important that the stuffing be very very dry for storage! 

To prepare: Combine the turkey mixture with 4 cups warm water. Allow to hydrate about 10 minutes. Top with dry stuffing mix and lightly push the stuffing down into the turkey mixture. Cover and bake in the solar oven at 300 degrees for least 35 minutes ( up to 6 hours covered if you are out and about) 


Now for the stew...

Tess' Lamb and Oat 5 Grain Sun-Cooked Stew
1 lb fresh cubed lamb, boneless
3T olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves minced garlic
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup baby carrots
2T tomato paste
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp fresh rosemary
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 cup whole oat groats
2T Whole rye
2T Whole red wheat
2T whole white wheat
2T Pearl barley
2 1/2 cups water or stock

Directions: Place the sun oven pan on the stove and bring olive oil to a very hot temperature. Sear the lamb in the pan until brown. Remove from the heat. Add remaining ingredients and cover with a tight fitting lid.
Place in a solar oven and bake until cooked through, about 3 hours. It can be kept in the solar oven up to 6 hours without any loss of quality. 

I simply stacked the two pans, put the lid on the top and put the solar oven facing south toward the sun in my yard. I walked away for 4 hours and when I came back, we had a delightful dinner waiting! 

There you go! Two new meals to make in a solar oven!

Always My Very Best, 
Your Friend Chef Tess


1 comment:

Amanda S. said...

Just went and looked at the Sun Oven honeyville is offering. I love the new UPGRADES! I bought mine last year... but I love the more stable "kick stand." A thing of beauty!