Saturday, June 15, 2019

The 2019 International Symposium on Bread with Peter Reinhert

At the International Pizza Expo in Las Vegas, my dear friend Ajith from Fire Within Mobil Wood Fire Ovens introduced me to my favorite author and bread guru Peter Reinhert. I was honored to be able to spend a quiet evening in a private dinner with him and just a few close friends talking about bread and life and even more surprised to receive an invitation to attend the International Symposium on Bread this week in North Carolina (only 60 people from around the world get to attend)! It was quite unexpected and a huge honor!  This auditorium was soon filled with all the bright beautiful minds of yeast and flour!
When I arrived I was blessed with a private tour of Johnson and Wales from Peter himself!
I can't really put into words what a blessing it was to learn from some of the most brilliant mind in the world of bread!

But I can say it was epic! I followed this guy around like a puppy...
I took the course on sprouted grain breads working with chef Richard Miscovich for 3 days in hands-on workshops. We made rye bread with sprouted grain flours. Chef Richard is on the board of directors for the Bread Baker's Guild, and a seasoned instructor at Jonson and Wales University in North Carolina as well as an Author. His instruction is world class.
 There was a lot of science involved...and he was pretty intense about it!

Not unlike the sprouted grains we've discussed often here on the blog...but a lot more detail!



We even used sprouted chia seed!

I loved seeing other students from around the world asking questions about the sprouting process and hearing the responses as well.
Richard was an incredible instructor.
We also got to have pizza from Fire Within. This is Ajith. He's amazing. I've come to respect him greatly from working closely with him in Denver. He truly has a heart of gold!
We worked on fermentation method using four different dough and it was interesting to see the results.
 We also saw the distinct differences in the dough of the structures.
 The process was cool to participate in as well...
 Dough slashing...
 Artisan dough turning...
 The results...


Overall, this was one of my top baking experiences, bar none! I feel like I learned so much in a short amount of time and I can't put into words what it felt like to be there. I'm so appreciative for the experience. Thank you Peter and to all who made this experience possible!

All My Very Best,








1 comment:

emmers said...

what an amazing experience! Thank you for sharing all of the pictures -its almost like being there myself! I am such a fan of the smell of baking bread, the flavor and texture of fresh, warm bread, and the feel of "home" that those smells and tastes bring. I think that what you do is such a remarkable thing! Keep on keeping on :)!