Thursday, July 22, 2010

Peach Mango Jalapeno Jam




It's time for me to bring to light one of my favorite jams. It's sweet and slightly hot with a good well rounded finish. I use it a lot of places...but most often on meats and slathered on a cracker. I've had friends tell me it's good on breakfast burritos. I've had it on savory cornbread waffles and cried tears of proverbial joy. I might add...I am a little over the top. I remember as a kid asking my mom why she would eat a food like a jalapeno that made her nose sweat. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of putting myself through that kind of pain for food. I promise, that without the seeds, this jam is actually quite mild. You taste the flavor of the pepper, but not much heat. I think,however, you may agree once you've tasted the jam yourself, that it is one in a million for amazing flavor.
Tess' Peach Mango Jalapeno Jam
1 lb peaches
1lb mangoes (after peeling and pitting weight)
4 jalapenos, seeded and minced
3/4 cup lemon juice
7 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 pouches liquid pectin

Mash mangoes and peaches over low heat in a large one gallon heavy bottom pot. A note on jalapenos will now follow.
I use gloves when I seed and cut jalapeno...because I tried it without them once and made the mistake of rubbing my eye. I looked like I'd been in a brawl, my eye was so swollen. Then it started tearing and got all bloodshot. No, I'm not just being dramatic. It happened...in front of a cooking class I might add. I will never make that mistake again. So...it gives a blue glove a chance to be part of a real happy life. I think it's really nice to keep them around. Thanks gloves.
Add all remaining ingredients except the pectin. Boil 5 minutes in a large one gallon pot. Add pectin, boil 1 minute more.Put in sterile canning jars (makes 8 1 cup jars). Seal lids. Boiling water process 10 minutes sea level.

You know...if there's any left in the jam pan after I fill the jars I shamelessly dunk my head in there and lick it off the bottom. Okay...maybe I don't. That would get mango jam junk in my hair and then I would look crazy. Yes. Only then would I look crazy.
Wonderful on a bagel with cream cheese. Amazing on ribs and grilled chicken. I've used it to replace the jam and pepper in the Jalapeno pepper pecan baked brie I adore. Alas, it is by far my favorite topping for a cracker.


There you go.

Always My Very Best,
Chef Tess

19 comments:

Patti Anastasia said...

This jam would make magnificent Brie Kisses: Filo cups filled with a spot of brie cheese, topped with the jam then baked until the cheese and jam are bubbly. thanks for sharing it.

Goob said...

This would be an absolutely awesome jar of jam to save for Holiday gatherings, or gift giving. Oh heavens, a jar of mango/peach/jalapeno accompanied by a batch of Chef Tess' homemade wheat things? Holy Wonderful gift for the neighbors!

Dori said...

writing out a grocery list...

I've been wanting to start making jams and jellies...just haven't found the right one to start with...then this came along! I *love* mangos. And just yesterday I was craving some sort of "pepper jelly" for my omelet...

Updates (blog post) to follow! :)

Connie said...

This looks delicious! I know several people, including myself, who would love it!

If you have any recipes that use apricots, I would appreciate that! Our gargantuan tree has a gazillion apricots just waiting to drop all over the back yard!

Goob said...

just so you know, JP is already telling everybody what they're getting for Christmas, and I came downstairs EARLY the other morning and guess what he was reading? Yes, that's right, Peach Mango Jalapeno Jam by Chef Tess.
Oh, and also, we experimented with it on bacon swiss burgers. The combo with mayonnaise on it was DELICIOUS, although it needed a good slice of tomato to cut the sweet a little.

mlebagley said...

can you use frozen mangos in this? If so, any adjustments need to be made to the recipe? KIndly advise. The jalepeno in my garden is ready for the plucking!

Chef Tess said...

Yes...in fact you may have discovered my secret to peeled and cut mangos weighing exactly one pound. Hugs and kisses sweetie!

Unknown said...

Chef- I made two batches of Peach Mango Jam last summer. One with Jalapeno the other with Hatch peppers.

Prior to Thanksgiving, I gifted my neighbors with a variety of the summer's jams and a fresh loaf of bread- sourdough, French, Challah, etc.

Of all the feedback the Peach Mango varieties were the hit of the season.

Next fall, will do some prickly pear jelly as I've spotted a nice cluster of plants, and the owner did not harvest the fruits. I expect to greet them at their door with a loaf of bread and a jar of jam, this spring ,and get permission to harvest... :)

Thanks, Stephanie, for all your tutorials and blog posts!

Chef Tess said...

Carol, you made me smile...and I probably won't stop smiling for a long time! Thank you! I'm always so happy to inspire something wonderful...but even more thankful when good folks remember to tell me how it went. God bless you!!

Goob said...

got a box of mangoes at Mekong Market for CHEAP yesterday, thinking Mango Peach is in my day!

Chef Tess said...

Go Tango with the Mango! Sweeeet!

Anonymous said...

What size packages of pectin? Is powdered pectin ok? Making this tomorrow morning, so very fast response GREATLY appreciated!

Chef Tess said...

You can use powdered pectin. Follow the directions for peach jam on the box. I believe it will take two boxes.

Anonymous said...

I have the mangoes, but not the peaches. Can I make this without the peaches? Just add more mangoes? Also, bottled lemon juice or juice from lemons?

Chef Tess said...

Yes. You can use just mango. Great question. I use fresh lemon juice but bottled will work.

Anonymous said...

Hi! This recipe sounds wonderful, but I was wondering if I could omit the jalapeno? I am definitely going to try it with the jalapenos at some point, but I am making jam for my kiddos and I'm not sure they'd like the jalapeno flavor. Thanks so much for such a wonderful blog!

Chef Tess said...

For sure you can make it without the peppers.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your quick response! I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to preserving and am always afraid to make any changes to recipes. I have a ton of peaches right now and mango is my fave, so I can't wait to combine the two. Thanks again!

Unknown said...

My first batch of jam, and my first time canning. Hope this turns out well. The jam smelled AWESOME as it cooked, I cut the batch down, and it made 3 pints. Probably enough for most of my neighborhood.