Monday, August 2, 2010

Double Cheeseburger skillet meal mix

Mix making Monday is crazy fun around here. I try to recreate mixes that are commonly used at home, but make them more natural and less expensive. So today is no exception. We've been playing around with the double cheeseburger hamburger skillet meal mix. The main expense is the organic cheese powder. Look for it on sale or it is also possible to use dry Parmesan cheese in it's place. Do You know the skillet meal mixes I'm talking about? They're the ones where you take a pound of lean hamburger and brown it in a skillet.
Then you add all this stuff and feed it to your family.
I know it's dang convenient. However, our mix uses a little less stuff.


Tess' Double Cheeseburger Hamburger Skillet meal mix
yield: 10, 1 oz sauce mixes

8 oz Organic Cheddar Cheese Powder (2 1/2 cups)
1 oz powdered milk (1/4 cup)
1 0z all purpose flour (1/4 cup)...For gluten free, use 2T cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1T granulated onion
2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Directions:
Combine all ingredients well. Use 1 oz (1/4 cup mix) to 3 oz of macaroni noodles (about 2 cups). I put the dry powder with the noodles in quart size storage bags with the label "cheeseburger helper".
When hamburger is browned, I add 1 cup hot water and 1 1/2 cup milk or soy milk. Bring to a boil and cover. Simmer 8-10 minutes until noodles are tender. Sauce will thicken a little more as it cools.
Your family may want more salt or seasoning. Adjust as needed.
If you are doing gluten free, use rice noodles and adjust the cooking time as needed.
Do you want to make it vegetarian with Meatless Wonders Hamburger Replacement? Add the meat replacement after the noodles cook instead of browning it, you just cook the noodles with the sauce mix and then fold in the 'veggie burger. Nice.


There you go my friends.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Chef Tess, I truly LOVE you for this post! I'm one of the rare people that have annatto intolerance (but can tolerate chemical dyes ROFL).

I've been buying Cabot's white cheddar for "regular" cooking, but now I can make DIY shelf-stable recipes with cheddar cheese, WOOOO thanks SO much!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU! I'm so excited to find this cheese sauce mix and to find your blog. Can I substitute this sauce mix for the Honeyville powdered cheese sauce called for in some of your 52 Jar Meals? My husband has to watch transfats in his diet so I am unable to use Honeyville's cheese sauce as it contains partially hydroginated fat. I would also appreciate knowing if there is a substitute for sour cream powder as it is high in saturated fat.

I purchased your e-book and am awaiting your 52 Jar book. Also waiting to receive my Honeyville order, Haco beef base and Ultra Gel so I can start putting together my Louisiana yearly "hurricane" supplies. Again, thanks so much and bless you for so generously sharing your vast wealth of knowledge.

Marilyn

Chef Tess said...

Yes. You can totally substitute it for the stuff in the jars mixes. You can use buttermilk powder instead of sour cream powder as well. Hopefully that helps. I'm so excited you found me sweet Marilyn. Let me know how it goes. Xoxo!